IPB Style© Fisana

What's eating my African Marigolds?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_<Ken S>_*

Guest_<Ken S>_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2003 - 08:11 AM

I have a small vegetable garden consisting of tomatoes, egg plants, hot peppers; jalapeno, habanero and etc. Planted around the perimeter of the garden are African marigolds as an insect deterrent. One morning I noticed that all of the flowers had been eaten, with a few petals scattered on the ground. Some of the foliage was also eaten. This is my second planting of marigolds and even with the use of Liquid Fence and fox urine they are still being eaten. I did some inquiries on the Web but came up empty handed. What could be eating them? kslotkow@onebox.com :confused:

#2 Janet Macunovich

Janet Macunovich
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 July 2003 - 08:53 PM

I've seen both rabbits and slugs defoliate marigolds, leaving just stems. Check after dark to see if it might be slugs.
And don't expect fox urine to keep hungry rabbits away.

#3 Guest_<Ken S>_*

Guest_<Ken S>_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2003 - 06:09 PM

, thanks for your response. It isn?t slugs that are devouring the marigolds, but with vigilance I caught the culprit. It turned out to be a woodchuck. Does anybody have a suggestion as to a deterrent, besides putting a four foot high and four foot deep concrete wall around the garden? :mad:

#4 Janet Macunovich

Janet Macunovich
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 07:57 PM

Yes. Have your house resided or an addition put on, something that will involve populating your premises with a crew of noisy people everyday all through the summer and the groundhog will stay away. I bet my career on it! But I can't help you with how to keep the construction crew from ruining the gardens.

#5 Guest_StevenNikkila_*

Guest_StevenNikkila_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2003 - 08:30 PM

You can trap the groundhog and get rid of the critter. Make sure you open the trap at daybreak and close it at dusk, if you didn't catch it, to keep from catching the citizens of the night like skunks and racoons.

Copyright © 2014 Green Earth, LLC