IPB Style© Fisana

cutting back daisies

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_<Dale>_*

Guest_<Dale>_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2004 - 10:18 PM

What are the general instructions for cutting back daylilies, black eyed susans and Shasta daisy (i.e., season, height, etc.).

#2 Guest_<dross.FH>_*

Guest_<dross.FH>_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2004 - 08:53 AM

In some cases, it is a matter of personal preferance.

For daylilies. After they bloom, cut down the stem. Also, I pull/cut the faded leaves at least in the fall as so they don't harbor unwanted insets.

On shasta daisies. I cut them when the flowers are faded to above a set of leaves...which sometimes produces some minimal reblooming. And then cut them down in the fall. However, if you want them to reseed, leave 'em.

On black-eyed Susans and coneflowers for that matter, I just leave them after the flowers fade, and cut them down in the spring, for two reasons - the birds love the seeds - particulaly the cone flowers, and I like the way they look throughout fall and winter. Black-eyes Susans do reseed like crazy, so if you don't want them to spread, or just want a tidier garden, cut them back. It doesn't seem to hurt them the following season.

Hope this helps.

#3 Guest_<Dale>_*

Guest_<Dale>_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2004 - 10:15 PM

To what height do you cut back the mentioned flowers? To ground level? 3 or 4 inches?

#4 Janet Macunovich

Janet Macunovich
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 08:58 AM

When you cut them back, "cut back" not just do that shasta-type deadheading dross mentions, you remove the entire flower stalk, which generally takes you to ground level to where the new basal leaves grow.

Deadheading removes the flower and the salk just down to the next good-sized leaf that may produce a side shoot.

Cutting back feels really drastic because the plant goes from 2 feet tall to 2 inches tall, but it's not hard ont he plant. the growing points of a daisy and a black eyed susan are int eh ground, on the crown of the plant. once the leaves above are gone and the crown is in the sun, it will start making new leaves (so long as it's healthy. If for some reason it's rotted or old, it won't -- but that condition didn't result from your cutting practice). If the cut back comes when the days are short and cool, the new leaves that grow will be all low, basal. If the cut back happens early on, like shortly after the first daisies bloom, the plant may generate some new, tall flower stalks.

, Senior Instructor, The Michigan School of Gardening

#5 Guest_JC_*

Guest_JC_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2004 - 12:38 PM

Thanks for the info on the daisies. I had been cutting mine back to a set of leaves, then getting frustrated that I had all these ugly stalks that wouldn't make new flowers anyway. To the ground they go!

Copyright © 2014 Green Earth, LLC