To use the system:
- Drench the vermiculite.
- Fill center clay pot with water.
- Refill clay pot water as necessary.
This creates a uniformly moist environment to root the cuttings.
To root cuttings:
- Cut the end of a healthy stem. Ideally one showing recent growth.
- Remove the lower 1/2 - 2/3 of leaves.
- (Optionally) Dip in rooting hormone powder such as Rootone.
- Plant into vermiculite.
- When they've rooted they will show new growth.
Here are some geranium (Pelagorium) cuttings about ready to be transplanted into pots.
I've had success using this method with cuttings of rosemary and boxwood. Would probably be successful with any plant that is easily propagated from cuttings.