IPB Style© Fisana

Parsley seeds -- how long to sprout?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_4r2_*

Guest_4r2_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:39 PM

I received the Chia-pet Herb garden for Christmas. Yes, I know the whole Chia-pet thing is hokey, but I found the kit to be really well thought-out and packaged. This time of year, I'm so hungry to see things grow that I welcomed the gift.

It comes with six varieties of herb seeds, but only four pots and growing media. So, I decided to sow cilantro, parsley, basil and marjoram. All have sprouted except for the parsley. Does it take longer for parsley to sprout or should I scrape the parsley seeds off the media and replant with some of the seeds I didn't use -- dill or chives?

Incidentally, the basil was the first to sprout and has already developed its first set of "real" leaves.

#2 Guest_Margaret Thele_*

Guest_Margaret Thele_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2008 - 03:10 AM

Hi , Yes I find parsley is one of those long germinating seeds...up to three weeks for it to come up. Fresh seed is usually viable though, so be patient!

#3 Janet Macunovich

Janet Macunovich
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 12:42 PM

Prologue: I'm not making this up:

Parsley seems to have always been known for taking its sweet long time to germinate. 3 to 6 weeks. Some folks say soak it in hot water overnight to speed it up, and others say "sure, and if you do that you end up with a gelatinous mess to try to sow." And some say it transplants hard, so sow it only where it's to grow; other say sow it in flats or the earwigs and cutworms get them all... Maybe the only thing that's sure about parsley is its cussedness from seed which is why it was said to "go to the devil and beck" or "to **** and back" before it sprouted.

With so much to say about it, of course people would amass a colorful volume of passed-down lore about a plant like this. Including (this is the part I think you'll think I'm making up) "to get curly parsley, jump up and down on the seed."

I'm looking right now for which source it was where I found that incredibly unclear-on-the-concept advice... Can't find it yet but I swear it is not of my device!

#4 JackieWalley

JackieWalley
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 02:58 PM

Hi ,

I too, have found that Parsley does take it's time to germinate. I have found that laying the seeds in a moist, but not soggy paper towel, keeps the seeds moist and at the same time draws the excess humidity off the seed preventing the earlier comment of "gelatinous mess". It's the same concept as when you wash your herbs, spin them dry, and then place them rolled up in the paper towel in a zip lock bag. The moisture stays in the bag, but without sweating and preventing the direct contact of moisture on the herb, it significantly lengthens it's shelf life. It is also much more effective to keep the seeds in an even warm temperature so as not to be cooled off during gray days in a window or colder temperatures at night.

I think any projects this time of year are a boost for us gardeners. cool.gif If you want something with a faster reward, I think the dill is the choice. It sure does smell good too.

Have fun,

Jackie

#5 Guest_4r2_*

Guest_4r2_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2008 - 06:42 PM

Thanks for all the advice! I think I see the beginning of sprouting. I've always bought parley for my herb garden as plants from the farmers market, so it's fun to see what professional growers go thru to get this herb started.

I thought about growing the dill, but we really don't use it in cooking. Chives we do use, but we have a good stand of perennial garlic chives in our herb garden -- it's almost a weed. I flash froze pieces of garlic chive this fall, so we really don't need any additional chives this winter.

#6 Guest_4r2_*

Guest_4r2_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2008 - 07:14 PM

Good news! The parsley had indeed started to sprout by Jan 5. That's just 10 days after Christmas -- I guess I was just being impatient. I have a good "stand" of parsley in my Chia-pot now and you'd never know it was slow to start.

#7 KarenBovio

KarenBovio
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:25 PM

Parsley is slow to germinate because the seed contains a germination inhibitor which slowly leaches out when exposed to moisture. Hence the suggestions about soaking the seed have real value - you leach out the inhibitor faster, so it germinates faster. It's even better if you change the soak water once or twice. I agree though, that it is much harder to sow wet seed! If you have the time and patience, you can let the soaked seed dry (watch it carefully!) and then sow it PROMPTLY. Do not let it get completely dried out again.

In regards to being difficult to transplant - I have not found this to be the case. I've been sowing and transplanting parsley for over 20 years, and find it to be a very easy crop. Personally, I don't bother with the soaking technique - I just sow it and wait - knowing that it will take about 3 weeks to germinate!

Copyright © 2014 Green Earth, LLC