IPB Style© Fisana

World Gardens; best boxwood for Michigan

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_MemberServices_*

Guest_MemberServices_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2006 - 08:54 AM

In the Mediterranean, garden geometry and symmetry is prevalent and the boxwood is often used to create that. What is the best boxwood to use for Michigan both for the larger varieties and smaller. I'd like boxwood that does well with many years of pruning.

#2 Guest_Margaret Thele_*

Guest_Margaret Thele_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2007 - 07:02 PM

I've planted "Winter Gem" as a backdrop to a birdbath. It is neat in habit and if I chose to shear it, could shape it quite nicely into a globe or hedge. It has been winter hardy for me and right now is a deep green --- good color. Maybe some of our other members could chime in as to what they've used.

#3 Julia Dingle

Julia Dingle
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 01:28 PM

ohmy.gif I love love love Buxus ' Green Velvet'

#4 Guest_StevenNikkila_*

Guest_StevenNikkila_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2007 - 08:24 AM

There are so many different boxwood (Buxus) that it maybe difficult to choose which one you want to use. I like the boxwoods that hold their green color in the winter. Going to a local botanical garden or arboretum, who tag their plants so you can find the name, and see how the boxwood there look can really help in the decision process. Find the green ones that fit the size your looking for and write down the names. This photo is part of Hidden Lake Gardens boxwood collection.

Attached Files

#5 adf43

adf43
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 05:33 PM

I agree with , there are many different varieties each with their own unique growth habit and look. A lot depends on what you are trying to achieve. For example, "Winter Gem' has a larger darker, glossy leaf than 'Green Velvet', which has a smaller, more oval matte texture to the leaf. If you are combining or using the Boxwood as a back drop or with other evergreen plants, it may make a difference in how all the textures and shades of green play out. I have also found 'Winter Gem' to be a little more on the woody side than 'Green Velvet' and better if you want a 2-3 foot hedge, rather than one smaller. I am trying 'Green Gem' in my white garden at Cranbrook because I wanted a slow growing boxwood that grows more naturally into a 2' ball shape. I am putting them in a semi-circle, with space between, keeping it geometric, but without the filled in hedge look. It's an experiment in design...ask me in 2 years how it looks. And some designers like 'Green Mountain' for it's pyramidal oval shape.

As for hardiness, buy from a local grower if that is a big concern. I have bought most of my boxwood from Auburn Oaks nursery since they have a farm in Fenton where they grow most of their boxwood and other shrubs. It's a small nursery, but great on service. You can purchase at wholesale rates as well.

For pruning, I prune both in April and August to keep and maintain size and as well as to keep that clean look going into the winter months.

Hope that helps!

Amy Fortin

Copyright © 2014 Green Earth, LLC