IPB Style© Fisana

tree moving cost survey

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_kd7_*

Guest_kd7_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2006 - 11:54 AM

and I are working on a tree transplanting guide, and a question came up that I'd like to ask the folks who have ever done or are considering moving a tree. Here's the scenario. You receive a notice from the local utility that they will be doing some mahor work in the right of way that runs through your property. Sadly, you have a prize 5" diameter Japanese maple that is your pride and joy, and has been since you planted it 20 years ago. You researched how to prune and pamper it, and it has become the focal point of your backyard. In a nutshell, you know you have to move it or the local utility will destroy it when they start digging. You have ample warning (6 months) to decide what to do. Moving it to another part of your yard is quite possible, and probably the best idea, but its way too big a job for you and you family. How much are you willing to pay for a company to move this tree? Please include a minimum (you do want a quality job, right?) and a maximum (Holy $%^&^%!!! How much????) I will share the answer I received from a professional company in a couple of weeks.

#2 greenlady0

greenlady0
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 02:40 PM

Anything would be cheaper than replacement of an equal size. The last I saw a sizeable Japanese maple it was in 1999 and $2,000. The year 2 of my 15 year old maples of comparable size were killed by 20 below temps fo an entire week in Feb.Boo Hoo!!!! I would say success of a tree company that has the equipment to move the tree and most of its rootball does not come cheap but a $1,000 would be reasonable. If you have several hundred dollars for a new tree and the years to wait you could get away cheaper,but it would kill me not to try to save the original tree.There would be no unrealistic limit for me I would take on another job to pay whatever!

#3 Guest_Corky_*

Guest_Corky_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2007 - 05:36 PM

I'd have to agree that I would probably shell out $1000...cringe and shell it out, maybe, but pay it nontheless. Over that and I would have to do some hand wringing (and husband consulting!) but, again, I agree that I would probably go higher to save a tree that meant that much to me.
You didn't give any dimensions except trunk diameter, so it's hard to say how much would sound like too little and raise my suspicions. Perhaps you could elaborate a little?

#4 Guest_kd7_*

Guest_kd7_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2007 - 07:11 AM

Thanks for your answers. You both would be surprised to know that the average cost of the two tree moving companies I surveyed was only $800. I probably over did the scenario, but the point was that you owned a nice tree that had to be moved or die. NIce to hear such passion over saving a good tree!

Copyright © 2014 Green Earth, LLC