IPB Style© Fisana

Fruit trees for wet area?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_B.J._*

Guest_B.J._*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2006 - 09:20 PM

I would like to know what fruit trees, if any, can grow in an area that is wet. I'm in hardiness zone 5.

#2 Guest_MaryH_*

Guest_MaryH_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2006 - 08:10 PM

I am also looking for information on fruit trees suitable for a wet area in Zone 5

#3 Janet Macunovich

Janet Macunovich
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 07:24 PM

Can we count elderberries as a fruit tree? They're more of a shrub but at ten feet or more they often apss as small trees and they're good for jams and wines... Ederberry grows naturally in wet areas so it's the first one that comes to my kind.

But I don't think any of the other traditional fruit trees for zone 5 -- apple, peach, pear, plum -- are going to work for you. None of them like wet, that I know of.

If we can go into shrubs there's blueberry (if it's a natural wetland, where the wet soil is aerated wet soil, as opposed to stagnant), and highbush cranberry (Viburnum trilobum). Although when it comes to the highbush cranberry I keep trying to eat the fruit but find that even after its mellowed on the shrub the whole winter it's so tangy my face puckers just thinking about it. I think whoever first decided to use it for jam must have had stock in the sugar industry as the recipe MUST call for an ungodly amount of sugar to make the finished product palatable!

As for real fruit TREES -- I'm anxious to hear what others say!

#4 Guest_Margaret Thele_*

Guest_Margaret Thele_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2006 - 08:23 PM

Have grown fruit trees for years and none can stand wet, waterlogged feet. Have had success with pears on a heavy soil that was wet during the spring of the year.

#5 PamPalechek

PamPalechek
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 01:16 AM

When it comes to fruit trees in wet areas forget it. All stone fruit species prefer well drained sandy loam. By planting on a mound or ridge you might be able to overcome the problem. You can plant trees, genetic dwarfs and trees on dwarf rooting stock in half wiskey barrels equipped with wheels and move them to an unheated garage for winter. Remember they will still need an occassional drink of water during the winter.

Copyright © 2014 Green Earth, LLC