IPB Style© Fisana

Why don't my reblooming Iris bloom again in the fall??

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_<Reblooming Iris>_*

Guest_<Reblooming Iris>_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2004 - 09:00 AM

I have purchased number of reblooming Iris varieties, however, none have rebloomed in the falol as advertised. What is wrong???

#2 Janet Macunovich

Janet Macunovich
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 02:13 PM

Are they healthy enough to re-bloom? Or are they in less than great conditions (less than full sun; or being undermined by iris borer) so there really isn't the energy to bloom again?

I don't grow any myself (for some reason it disturbs me to see iris blooming in September; disorienting), but I'll see if we can get comment from Ann Cline of the Iris Society, who's been iris-ing all her life.

, Senior Instructor, The Michigan School of Gardening

#3 Guest_<Laura>_*

Guest_<Laura>_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2004 - 11:06 PM

I have reblooming iris (just because I liked the colors). This year the Immortality and Harvest of Memories both rebloomed. In past years I have found shoots where they tried to rebloom, but were frosted or frozen before anything opened up. I'm suspicious that it gets too cold here too soon for them to do there thing.

#4 Guest_<fran & janet>_*

Guest_<fran & janet>_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2004 - 02:53 PM

Frank Knorr and here - instructors putting our heads together about reblooming iris. AND spoke to Ann Cline of the Iris Society last night...

Fran's reblooming iris, a yellow variety, only just began to bloom in late October. )("It reblooms in the fall about the time I give up on it," says Fran.)Last night the flowering stem was frozen back, so that will probably be it. ("I was going to cover it," Fran says, "I knew I shoulda.")

Ann Cline (past president of the Iris Society) says the same thing, "Many of the reblooming varieties don't rebloom until very very late, and our season isn't long enough. You really have to know which rebloomer you're buying and if it really is going to be able to bloom for us here. I'm speaking about rebloomers to the Iris Society on Valentine's Day next year, in the evening at the Royal Oak Senior Center (north of 13 Mile, east off Crooks, the Community Center on Marais). You should come!"

Copyright © 2014 Green Earth, LLC