IPB Style© Fisana

leggy azaleas

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_<Chris>_*

Guest_<Chris>_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2003 - 09:56 AM

I have three azaleas in my front yard that through my own neglect (years spent child raising!)have become extremely leggy with leaves only at the tips, and centers that are open and splayed apart(from snow dumped on them or children stepping on them). A friend suggests cutting them down to about 6 inches to stimulate new growth. Can I expect them to come back by doing this? I have already started a regime to nurse them back to health by applying hollytone in the spring and fall and fertilizing with Miracid every two weeks. Please advise. Thanks!

#2 Janet Macunovich

Janet Macunovich
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 10:39 PM

When a shrub has become weak from neglect, I try to beef it up BEFORE I cut it back hard. Yours may live even if you cut them now -- I have seen it happen, though I have far more confidence when I cut back overgrown but otherwise full azaleas!

But if you hav the time, go ahead and water and fertlize them better, until they develop more leaves. Let them have those leaves for a month or a year and then cut back hard. It may be easiest on the shrub to be cut back hard (left leafless) immediately before the shrub would begin leafing out new foliage in spring.

#3 Guest_<Chris>_*

Guest_<Chris>_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2003 - 09:43 PM

Thanks, . I'll try to get them healthy before I prune hard next year.

#4 Guest_valatina_*

Guest_valatina_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2003 - 08:26 AM

What should you use to make them healthy?

Copyright © 2014 Green Earth, LLC